Currently I’m a year two nursing student… but I felt tat I’m extremely useless at times… yesterday there was a patient who is going for mastectomy, she was so scared but didn’t voice out only… the moment before she left, she told me, “nanti kalau abang datang, cakap dengannya saya pergi operation…”
What I can do is just assuring her by saying okie and give her a pat on her shoulder…I don’t know what else can I tell her… I felt that I’m extremely useless for not being able to help her going into the theatre calmly… when she came back, I really don’t know what to do again… she was in deep pain that I can see from her facial expression… yet I don’t know what can I do….
Another patient who has a bloated abdomen and underwent surgery…I felt very bad for her also…that day she told me that she had pass motion in her diapers, so as usual I will have to change for her…while changing, the dressings on her pressure sore at the sacral area(above buttock line) stuck at her diapers and I was pulling the diapers… I suddenly said, “oh my god….” Then I realized the patient heard it and she was very sorry for troubling us…but I really don’t mean that…I was just too afraid that her pressure sore will get the faeces and later got infection…but I guess I was over-reacted… and according to the staff nurse experience, she told us that this patient will not last long… I was so stunted to hear that…
I really don’t know what else could I do for this patient…she was at the end of her life, difficult to voice out, at times will be confused…didn’t know where she is, what’s her own name….
What can I do for this type of patient??
I just felt that I’m really useless at this point of time… even tho I tried my best to make her happier but what else can I do to make her happier?
How to make a person like this happier???
-confused…pnee-
1 comment:
maybe u can try talk to her whenever u have time.. try to make her feel like she's not all alone there and that u're there with her. make ur presence felt.try to joke or converse on smth that will distract her frm her medical condition.all u need to do is do what u do best,that is show care.
ppl make mistakes... the most important thing is to learn frm it.. abt ur reaction,take it easy,the patient will understand.u are doin a noble job and we are all very proud of u... hang in there and u will get the hang of it.. =)
take care in srban and we shall all yumcha,make noise very soon again ok?
Post a Comment